Ten years ago the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in cooperation with the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSAM) dedicated October as Cybersecurity Awareness Month. The initiative is designed not only to bring awareness to online security but to also help educate the public on how to stay safe online.
To help launch the month off right the Mobile Work Exchange and Cisco created an assessment tool that helps you determine if you are practicing safe behavior online. The tool will ask you questions, provide you with a score and some action points to help keep you be safe online.
I have also made my book “HOW TO BE SAFE AND ENJOY: NETWORK SECURITY FOR THE HOME AND SMALL BUSINESS.” available in the Kindle Owner’s Lending Library.
NCSAM focuses on a different cybersecurity issue for each week this month:
- Week 1 October 1-6, 2013 – Theme: 10 Years & Beyond: General Online Safety & STOP. THINK. CONNECT.
- Week 2 October 7-13, 2013 – Theme: Being Mobile: Online Safety & Security
- Week 3: October 14-20, 2013 – Theme: Cyber Education and the Next Generation of Cyber Leaders
- Week 4: October 21-27, 2013 – Theme: Cybercrime
- Week 5: October 28-31, 2013 – Theme: Cybersecurity and Critical Infrastructure